As the population grows, the amount of waste grows as well. This is the reason why developing effective ways of waste management is essential. Resource recovery is one such effective method that has been developed that manages waste products as a resource. This practice is mostly focused on those waste products that are left over in litter bins once the businesses and householders have used them. Reduce, re-use and recycle!
The sites of resource recovery have the potential of diverting almost 90% of all landfill waste products. Furthermore, the resource recovery facilities recover and treat the produced energy and/or waste materials from the waste products through chemical, thermal and/or biological means. The waste products that are sourced and recovered from resource recovery sites are:
- Gaseous fuels
- Liquid fuel
- Solid fuels
- Soil conditioner
Certain facilities of resource recovery also dismantle, repair, process, store and receive discarded recyclable materials and/or products so that they can be reused by any industry or public.
Resource Recovery Advantages
In many countries, there are different bins for different household waste products so that they can be dealt with in a proper and effective manner. General trash of the household goes in black bins, and is collected each week in order to dispose of it in a large pit which is then covered with earth to prevent vermin being attracted to it, decrease the smell, and ensuring it doesn’t spread because of the wind. This is called a landfill site.
Resource recovery can be found in these landfill sites or a site near it. There are several benefits of this waste management practice.
- It reduces groundwater and surface contamination,
- It decreases litter, noise, dust and odor problems usually linked with waste management sites,
- It lowers the overall affect on flora and fauna in environs,
- It lessens the emissions of greenhouse gases.
Economic and Social Benefits
- It decrease the community impact on environment because of waste products,
- It spreads awareness about the significance of utilizing sustainable practices of waste management,
- It decreases affects of growing costs of landfill,
- It prolongs the existing waste management site’s life,
- It produces more revenue from consumable product production like energy, mulch and compost along with other recyclable and recoverable products.